Monday, January 25, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!!!

Man! It has been such a crazy weekend for us and so much has happened! Well, I'll start with new friends. I made new friends this week! Huzzah! A coworker of Paul's just transfered 2 weeks ago from Dallas with his wife, Sarah. She's really nice and we seem to get along just peachy. They are a fun couple who like to do couple things, which is great for me and Paul. I also met a previous contact of mine from the Girl Scout Camp I worked at. Her name is Becca and she is an Aussie. She is gonna be a great pal I know it!
Anyway, back to what I did. Wednesday I was on my run on the Coastal Walk when I saw DOLPHINS!!! A family of dolphins were playing in the waves at Tamarama Beach and I had to stop and watch. Thursday, I went to meet Sarah and we pretty much beach bummed all day. Friday, I went down to the CBD (business district) and walked down George Street with Becca. Then, I met up with Paul in The Rocks (the old part of Sydney) where we had dinner with Sarah and her husband Chris. We had dinner and then walked around the Opera House (yeah, I know...I just walk around it like it's a normal part of my life!). It was a quite nice evening leading up to....
MY BIRTHDAY! Now, usually, I get excited about my birthday, but this day, I was really stoked 'cause for the first time in my life (and probably the only time) I get to experience a summer birthday. But, the weather had to have it's say in the matter. Not in The Curse proportions or anything (for those who don't know, the first 16 years of my life, I couldn't have a proper bday party 'cause the weather usually was catastrophic). Yet, it was weird...Paul and I went to go get a burrito in 100 degree weather...so the burrito was spicy and it was hot. I didn't feel intelligent. Yet, Paul and I decided to go on down to the beach, which felt AMAZING 'CAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU DO FOR SUMMER BIRTHDAYS! However, the weather then turned for the worst. The rain came down. The winds made me feel like I was in the Apocalypse. In other words, I was pretty sure The Curse had found me in Australia and meant to deal with this summer birthday idea in a different way. Yet, Paul and I were determined to finish my birthday the way I wanted it! In The Domain (the garden area...near the Royal Botanical Gardens?), they were holding a free symphony where everyone can picnic and enjoy the cool summer evening. It was wet. But I was gonna do it my way! So, we sat and waited for Chris and Sarah (who baked me a cake!) and the weather cleared wonderfully! I was so happy about it and we had a great time. And, the real icing on the cake was at the end of the concert, they had FIREWORKS!! Can we say ultimate birthday? It was fabulous.
Sunday- I was still on a birthday rollercoaster, but we went to Manly Beach and strolled along the coastline. We had a couple of videos and BEAUTIFUL photos...which we will upload once we have internet...WE STILL DON'T HAVE IT! It's awful and I'm about to pitch a hissy.
Tomorrow I will have to update again 'cause...IT'S AUSTRALIA DAY! Paul gets the day off and we get to go have fun in the sun. So, we are pretty excited. Give us an update in your lives.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you,happy birthday to Rachel, happy birthday to you!WOW!What a place to be for a birthday.Hope you have a wonderful and safe time there.Let me know when you get my card,ok.Love ya,kay riffle

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday miss all! i miss you terribly but i'm happy you are enjoying life as an aussie. i sent you a long email to update you with my life at north cobb so please check it! can't believe you're having 100 degree weather. in georgia we are most definately not...

    lots of love!
    catalina <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no Catalina! I totally got your email and I thought I emailed you back...since I had an amazingly large email back to you...but I guess the internet cut out or something? Who knows! I get the bad stuff happening to me, so I will write another email.

    ReplyDelete