Sunday, January 10, 2010

Still no Internet, but lots of fun

I know, I know, I have absolutely no photos to share or videos. But the cable people have not exactly been too friendly in getting us our cable Internet, so I'm just relying on Paul's little Internet tool that he gets from work that is about at fast as dial-up. Great. But, I figured, we have just completed our first week in Sydney and I must relay so much information! So, get ready 'cause here is all is!
We live on Bondi Beach (pronounced Bond-eye) and it is absolutely beautiful. It is very touristy though, but hey, at least we get to see a lot of different people. Tuesday-Friday, Paul has been working very hard and so have I. I have been looking for jobs, but so far, nothin doin! It's hard to find a job that doesn't make you work on weekends, and since that is my time with Paul to explore the country, I will have to hold out. But, I'm not too bored. I have already made a couple of contacts in this country and hopefully, a few will turn out to be good friends. People are generally friendly and want to help whenever they can. Which is great, except one thing I would recommend is customer service. Waitresses just are not as great as I was...and I was not a good waitress. But, then again, they don't have to work for tips so, why work hard when you already are paid? The general attitude here is to relax and enjoy life, which is not too hard to fall into. Wednesday was my first day to actually enjoy the beach...and I got burned. Bad. I felt pathetic. The key is reapply, reapply, wear a hat, sit in the shade when you can, AVOID DIRECT SUN! I have never felt this burned in my entire life and I don't recommend it. So, that is why Thursday and Friday I stayed indoors. Friday after work, Paul and I went out to dinner and then to one of his co-worker's birthday party. It was very relaxed and it was great to meet the other Bainee's as they are called. Many of them are transfers, like Paul. There were some very interesting people from Spain, Ghana, Boston, and Chicago and I enjoyed all of them. Saturday, I took a few videos of the Coastal Walk. The Coastal Walk is path that connects Bondi Beach to Tamarama and Bronte Beaches. I have not seen too much to Sydney up to this point, and I was already impressed with Bondi, but you cannot imagine how much more beautiful a place is where it is not overwhelmingly crowded. I though Tamarama was the most beautiful and I cannot wait to upload our videos so you all can share with us in our most glorious adventure! Patience friends and family! After our small adventures around Bondi, we went to Bronte beach to do a BBQ (yes Chelsea, it is called a barbie) and then go to Flickerfest. What is Flickerfest you might ask? It is a film festival at Bondi that shows little independent films from all over the world. There were a wide range of genre's and Paul and I felt very cultured afterward.
Sunday! Paul decided he was gonna go skydiving. Good for him. Rachel decided to stay on the ground where God originally put her for good reason. Haha, we went with a group of Bain people and I became photographer for the day, which is what I enjoyed doing more. Looking at the faces of my friends really reassured me that I did the right thing in sitting this one out. Especially still suffering from the effects of my burn. But, maybe once I'm better and I have more guts, I will be more inclined to do it. After that fun experience and hours of waiting for the bus to come and pick us up, Paul and I went to look at the world's largest IMAX theater. Didn't see a show, but nonetheless, it was good to see more of the city. Then we came home and now we are preparing for the week ahead! It's so weird, 'cause some of you are going to be reading this on your weekend...that we have already done. Living in the future!!!! Anyways, I hope you find this post enjoyable, as I know it was a long one. Don't worry...I may go to the Internet cafe and just spend some time uploading so that you have more to look at than gorgeous Buncombe kitty in his Christmas regalia. One thing I have been missing is poor Buncombe. I miss the humans too though, so everyone at home have a happy and safe weekend and post some comments! I like to hear from everyone! Cheers mates!

7 comments:

  1. Whoa! It sounds like you are having quite the adventure! I'm glad that you are using the journal. It looks kind of old and vintage, doesn't it? Anyway, schools going great but your room feels weird without you teaching there. AWWWW...sappy, tearful, expression. I have one question. There is this band called The Temper Trap, who are from Australia. Are they big there? They're not very popular in the US yet, but I wonder if they are like the Green Day of USA. I am typing this at 10:45 AM Sunday time, which is....2:46AM Monday Sydney time. You are living in the future. I hope you get to eat some vegemite!

    Marisol B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are having a good time! Nichole is super jealous that Paul went skydiving! Mom is very glad you didnt do it!
    We must tell you that Mr. Buncombe has a little problem....he may have a problem with catnip....he just may have to go to rehab when you get home. Aunt Noelle got him a cardboard scratching post and the catnip goes in it. He loves it! Mom has been snuggling with him every night. He is very spoiled. Noelle wants t o know how the Outback steakhouse is and how the vegamite is. We all miss you and glad you are having a good time....still waiting for the pictures!
    love ,
    Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Noelle, Nichole, Keith, Reilly and Reagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel and Paul-I'm learning how to post a comment.I never see you on skype! You didn't teach me how to just type-I guess I figured out you have to IM. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are having fun! I cannot imagine Paul skydiving! Well at least you have your base for that wonderful tan you are working towards! What is vegemite?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love comments! Marisol, I have yet to hear that band 'cause oddly enough the biggest names, are all from the US. Except for some dude named Al Green...who I don't know but apparently is a big deal for some folk. I will keep an eye out for them. I am glad to hear that your semester is going well and I miss you all as well. Sadly, I have yet to try Vegemite 'cause groceries are SO EXPENSIVE!!! I mean, I know I say I am poor, but when I'm here, I KNOW I am poor. As for the Outback Steakhouse, have yet to see one :). Noelle, do not steal my kitty. He needs his momma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe Paul went skydiving. This from the child who could not easily ride an escalator due to height and movement. Rachel, thanks for all the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel and Paul,
    This is wonderful to enjoy your journey in the comfort of my own home!! :-) Enjoy for all of us and continue to let us enjoy vicariously!! Love ya,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete