Monday, March 11, 2013

New York with Paul

Hello friends!

Change of pace finally happened this week when Paul and I decided to go to NYC for the weekend.  We left Friday, and as I'm sure so many of you know, we left in the middle of a snow storm.  We were a little nervous to go on our trip in a bus.  But at least we weren't driving.  However, our scheduled 4 hour trip became a 7 hour trip, as we got stuck in the snow on the highway for 30 min- 1 hr.  And Paul and I forgot our water bottles and any snacks.  Such a grave mistake.  Luckily, we got to stop at a rest station, where I proceeded to buy all the Pop-Tarts in the vending machines.

Even though the trip began with a few hiccups, it was still a great one.  I love that I can visit NYC so easily and it is considered a weekend trip to us now.  Better go while I can, as we only have one year left in the program.

Our hotel was near Times Square, so after checking in and eating a half a pizza (we were ravenous), we hurried to the Roosevelt Island Tram, which affords anyone with great views of the city.
















Paul's first remark about the city: "Look at all these taxis!"

We then visited Central Park and marveled at how such a large green space can exist in such a huge city.








After that excursion, we had dinner at a hole in the wall sushi place and went to the Eastville Comedy Club.  It was hilarious and we saw a semi-famous person, Janeane Garofelo...who was not great.  But everyone else was amazing.  

That evening, we strolled around and saw Rockefeller Building and the Lego store.  This is for Kris!





The next day, we were rudely awaken by the TV, which apparently had a secret alarm that scared us dumb.  That was at 6:30 and we never forgave it.  Anyway, we got a couple of bagels at Ess-A-Bagel, and then headed off to the Brooklyn Bridge.  We had a great time walking around and seeing the beautiful views.  We took a lot of pictures for you David!







Statue of Liberty, off to the left






Empire State Building


New World Trade Center


Neighboring bridge



After Brooklyn Bridge, we tried to visit the WTC memorial, but found you had to get some reserved tickets of some sort?...we weren't sure, but there were tons of people and we just remembered from a distance.


Sculpture near the memorial


So tall


Paul admired the subway system.  It was quite advanced to us Bostonians.

We got off the subway and went to the High Line, which you viewed in the last post of my visit to NYC.  But, Paul needed to see it :)



Ha!


My favorite


It amazes me how straight the streets are


Love it.


Me, eating cookies and milk at the Chelsea Market, in the Meatpacking District.

That evening, we saw Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, starring Scarlett Johanson and Benjamin Walker (who was in a great musical Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson) and it was grand, of course.  The set was gorgeous and the acting was great, although the accents may have been a little over the top.  Paul said he could give Scarlett some lessons.  




Us in Times Square


Oh Paul

That was about it!  Almost...

We came back to Boston and Paul dashed off to get his hair cut, while I went home to see to Buncombe.  I finished my business and thought "I wonder if Emerson has said anything yet".  Not thinking I would, I checked online to see if any decision had been rendered...

AND I GOT IN!!!

I'm back in the purple and gold this fall as I go to Emerson College for my MA in Theatre Education.  I can finally achieve the dream I had in high school.  I am so ecstatic and am so thankful for everyone's support and love.  I really appreciate it and I just don't know what to do with myself.  Just relax I suppose and wait for September.  

That's it!  My next post will be about Paul's internship and where we headed.  Life is out of control and amazing at the same time.  We are the luckiest.







0 comments:

Post a Comment