Monday, July 15, 2013

Moving on down

Buenos dias friends.
This week, we went to Guatemala, but you're going to have to hold your horses on that post until next week because:
1. we just flew in from there 
2. Monday flights=Sleepy Rachel 
3.  No chance to go through 300+ photos to see which ones make the cut (that's not an exaggeration...we LOVE pictures).
4.  Paul Meggs is super busy, tired, and trying to convince me that he's sick but he should know...I see through it...THROUGH IT.

So, instead of packing, which is what Paul charged me with before he left (which, let's be honest, will take me all of 1.425 hours), I am going to write a blogpost to my faithful folk.  Also, because I'm going to relax in bed and nurse my weekend wounds.  

What do I want to talk about?  Our important week stuff.  Like getting our teeth cleaned.  Paul's now going to get his teeth done tomorrow since my teeth cleaning was a success.  It was cheap and easy to do, even though my gums bled because the scraping was done by a drill instead of a light human hand.  Ick.  

In other great news, Paul got his hair cut.  He hasn't had a radical change like this since graduating college when he buzzed his hair, making him look like as we call it "Mean Paul".  Now, he's "Don Draper Paul".  Hot.

We'll get a better one later.  But he's still cute, right?

Ok, so maybe there should be more to this post than our day to day life, which isn't exactly thrilling.  

Let's say good-bye to Costa Rica.

Tomorrow, our flight for Lima leaves at 3:00 PM and even though we are quite enthralled about the change, we will miss our little home for the last 6 weeks.  We came to Costa Rica 2 years ago, thinking we would never come again.  Then, we came back.  There's so much we appreciate about this little country now that we will probably miss in Peru:

1. Great people who speak clear, slow Spanish...usually.- Costa Ricans are used to the enormous amount of tourists and as a speaker of Spanish, I do appreciate how well they annunciate their words and how slow they will usually speak.  This was a great starting point for Paul, who just didn't come here with much.  They are incredibly helpful folk as well and will make your life as easy as you want it to be.  

2. Wonderful spring weather- Yes, it is rainy season and they say in October, it rains the entire time.  But June has been quite spectacular.  We didn't mind the daily rainfall at 2 PM.  Something about clock work rain is nice because you just know to seek cover before that time.  San Jose is a terribly ugly city, but the mountains afford it beautiful, spring like weather, which is nice after a sticky weekend on the coast.

You need pictures, I know

3.  Safety- Most of Central and South America have a bad reputation for crime.  Costa Rica doesn't have that, aside from the pick pocketing.  Although Peru is more third world, which is going to be a little adjustment for me, it is not as dangerous as you want to think.  And, let's be honest, there is just as much crime in the US.  Sadly.

4.  Chocolate covered coffee beans- mmmmmmmmmCHOCOLATECOVEREDCOFFEEBEANSAREMYFAVORITEmmmmmmmm


Paul and I ate this entire bag in just 2 days.  And I had a hissy fit when he finished it all.  It was his revenge when I found a Moe's and didn't buy him a burrito when I got one.  But I'm still a bit bitter.

I'm sure there are more reasons to miss Costa Rica, but I'm tired and thinking takes energy sometimes.  But that's it!  On to Peru!  On to our next chapter!  And in August, for me, on to my Buncombe kitty!

P.S.- I also am nursing a really big bruise on my bum that concerns me because it is the blackest bruise I've ever seen.  So, now I'm using my neck pillow a butt doughnut for me to sit on, just in case my spinal cord is hanging out.  That's how profoundly dark it is.  And I will continue to tell you how terrible it is in the next post about Guatemala, where I received said bruise.  

Please send love and lightning bugs to my bum.  No mosquitos please, I had enough of them.


I think we completed Costa Rica (X marks the spot)











1 comment:

  1. Love Paul's hair! Very handsome Paul! Looks like you all are very busy. You have seen so much already. You are blessed. Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete