Sunday, January 26, 2014

Trip to South America: The Prequel to THE HIKE

Yes, the prodigal couple have returned to Boston to roost and we have so many stories to tell.  It's hard to tell where to begin, and this is going to take a while to tell all the stories.  But be patient.  The pictures and stories are worth it.  At least for us.

So, let us begin.

We start in Santiago, when Paul and I finally reunited.  As many of you know, I was absolutely DYING to be back with my husband.  We finally were back together and we just explored.

We went to several parks around:




We found a Coca-Cola bear!


We saw a pretty fountain.

Then we did a hike:




And had wine while watching the sun set:



The first night, Paul treated us to a beautiful dinner that is specifically Chilean.  The food was great, but it was a touch hilarious because the guys told us stories along the lines of "smell this rock, this is what is smells like in the woods...the Chilean woods."  I guess many people don't go out in the woods?  Either way, the food was great and each dish was paired with a specific wine.  Believe me, we were educated on this trip about wine.


Mussels


Our snacks...on rocks.


We drank out of horns and it was awesome.



Really sniff that twig...it's what it smells like to get bird eggs...


You know that rock I was talking about?  It's the one above.


Little sheepie

                           

Under the sheep were delicious berries


I don't know if I'm holding something, but probably something to do about sniffing the twig.

Santiago was a welcome respite after so long apart.  We loved our 3 days in Santiago, but we had to go.  

We moved on from Santiago to Punta Arenas via plane, which was a stopping point before we went to Puerto Natales for our arduous hike. 


The cemetery we visited


Pretty fancy graves, huh?


This a family crypt


Punta Arenas used to be a popular port...before the Panama Canal opened.


Pretty yellow flowers


Port

We then took a 5 hour bus ride to Puerto Natales to prepare for our large hike.  We spent the night there and geared up for the big day.


The majority of this is going on our backs.  30 lbs per person.  And look at how clean I was.  That changes rapidly...

So, that is the beginning.  It's short and sweet, but I wanted also to catch everyone up on what we are doing now.  Paul doesn't have classes until next week, while I have already been in school since the 15th.  I have 4 classes and will be working on my thesis.  I have also received an awesome birthday present: German lessons!  I will be taking that on as well, so wish me luck.  As for Buncombe, he is largely ok with being back in our little nest, but we are as pleased as punch to have him back, to make him snuggle with us.  It's been cold, but we have had a lot of love to keep us warm.

Also, thank you to those who sent wonderful birthday messages.  I had an amazing week long celebration and I believe 28 is going to be an amazing year.


Tune in next week for the continuing series of Trip to South America!



1 comment: