Sunday, February 21, 2010

Beach weekend

Hello everybody! I hope all of you are having a good day/night. Our weekend was not quite as eventful as other weekends but still we had a great time. Paul's work has been slamming him lately with late nights and too many Excel spreadsheets. So, we thought we would take it easy and finally visit the beaches because we live on the beach.
Friday: Friday I went into the CBD (business district where Paul works) and met up with him. I was sick a little bit during the week so I felt it was necessary for me to get out of the flat and try somewhere new to eat. We ate and then walked along Circular Quay just to relax. Paul's form of relaxation is taking photos so we took a few good ones on the Quay. I swear he is improving his talents as a photographer. I don't have the patience for technology, so I am just as happy being the subject. Later on that night, we went to the beach and just laid out looking at the stars and took more photos. It's really neat to consider that we are looking at a different set of stars than you guys. I cannot wait until Uluru (Ayer's Rock) weekend when we will see the stars much better.
Saturday: Beach!!! We went to Manly beach for the day and did all sorts of fun stuff. We bought snorkeling gear because we have yet to decide if we want to get scuba certifications. Even then, if we do want to get certified, we have all the equipment. It was an interesting first time experience for the both of us. We made the egregious mistake of putting our flippers on BEFORE getting into the water. Terrible choice 'cause it was difficult. Anyway, so we made it in after falling down several times and laughing at our stupidity and had a blast. Manly has a lot of fun fish. I chased a few that I thought would be friendly, but they kept running away. Sad. We also saw a stingray, which Paul suggested I not chase. It was a very cool experience and I liked it.
Then, it was time to get out. We are so dumb. We tried to get out on a rocky shore with our flippers on again. We looked like a couple of beached whales trying to get out of that water. I cannot express to you how idiotic this was and how we did not learn our lesson the first time. Oh well. The scratches are now a better reminder I suppose than memory alone.
We also found our friends Sarah and Chris. It's quite amazing how we always run into them. Paul's phone is broken so it usually cuts off at random times, so they can never call us. Yet we can be on the busiest beach and we will find them. Haha...it is pretty hilarious how it happens like that. Anyway, we laid on the beach with them until the sun set and then we took the ferry home. What a great day :). Then that night we hung out with some Americans and it always feels good to be around people you don't have to repeat yourself a thousand times to say what you want to say.
Sunday: Sunday was our day to sleep and plan our vacations. Hopefully soon, we will have everything planned and ready to go this week. I love how we have so much to do, and it feels like our time here is now so short! I've already had to start looking for souvenirs. If you would like something, let me know. I can get you some Bondi sand :).
On Sunday, we went to Bondi beach and relaxed and then went to Chinatown for the Chinese New Year celebration! We went to a restaurant that was both delicious and inexpensive. I think we shall have to visit Chinatown again. We went for the parade that was completely hyped up, but alas fell below par. It was interesting and what not, but not exactly as thrilling as I would have imagined. But hey, you should never waste a chance to have an experience and I learned where Chinatown is and also how to get around down there. I am becoming a Googlemaps of Sydney!
Well, that was that for this weekend. Not too many photos, although I will upload a couple on here and a video of the parade. I cannot believe that less than 2 months ago I was on the plane here. Paul and I cannot get over sometimes how neat this experience is and we are just so happy to be here together. It would've been quite miserable if we had been separated. So, anyway, let us know what you are up to and also post to us what you would like from Australia. We'll see if we can make it happen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment