Monday, April 28, 2014

Our Theatre Week

G'day mates!

Long time no post!  It's been an incredible month of crazy for both Paul and myself, but it has finally tapered off.  It has consisted of thesis writing (which is done!!! 110 pages!), projects, papers, and a mini production of Blood Wedding that I did for my Directing class, which was AMAZING...mainly because of my actors...they really didn't need me.  But now I am in "exam" mode, which consists of me turning in a proposal, a design project, and presenting a lesson plan.  Then, I'm pretty much done!  I have my thesis defense on May 12 and a directed study over the summer, but I should have my master's degree!!!!!! WAAAAAATTTT????!!!!  YAYAYYAY!

But I digress.  I feel like I have so much to tell everyone and I'm just running amok.  But I will focus on our past week.  Paul and I saw 3 theatre shows and went to NYC for a little getaway together.  We loved our cultural week.  We didn't bring the camera, to keep our travel light, so, sorry for disappointing pics.

Show #1: The Book of Mormon

For those who live in Boston and NYC, shows can be quite expensive, especially since there are so many to see.  However, Boston and NYC is mindful of this and can actually cut some pretty nice deals.  We saw the BoM in Boston and tried to win the lottery tickets that are $25 pp.  Sadly, we lost 3 times, but we could get partial view seats for $38 pp.  And the partial view tickets were not even that bad!  No action was missed and we were pretty close.  This play was hilarious with wonderful high energy throughout.  Not really a family show, but awesome.







At the Boston Opera House which is beyond beautiful and has the most efficient women's restroom ever!!!  A lady sits on a mic in the bathroom and tells you which stall is available and I've never been in such a fast line in my life.  There should always be a lady in a bathroom with a mic in my opinion.

Show #2:  Sleep No More in NYC

On Friday morning, Paul and I got up and took a bus to NYC for a weekend of culture and fun.  We love that we can just hop on a bus and in 4 hours be in this huge city with so much going on.  We dropped off our stuff at the AirBnB place that we were staying at in Astoria and went to get a nice meal before the show, Pepe Giallo.  Reasonable food at a reasonable price.


Paul enjoying the meal

So...Sleep No More is a dance theatrical piece, but it is unlike any theatrical experience I have ever had.  Wild is the word I would use, but a really good kind of wild.  It is the story of Macbeth told through movement and in the most elaborate, beautiful, strange, and exotic way I've ever seen a story told.  It is a marriage of film noir and crazy.  The show rents out the lovely Hotel McKittrick, down near the High Line and made 5 floors of this place into a crazy hotel.  There are actors/dancers that move around and are certain characters and perform certain things at certain places.  But, you don't see it all.  It is extremely hard to explain via blog, but if you go to NYC and you want something totally mind-bending, go see this show.  It's weird, but the good kind.  


Waiting outside to go in



Yup, you wear masks...don't worry, it's not cultish..it's just weird, but crazy.



The nightclub inside.  Beautifully done.



After, we needed some late night snacks, so Paul got a cookie and I got a hot dog at Grey's Papaya.

The next day, we got rush tickets to see our third show, Pippin, and then went off for a stroll through Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum.  Both were equally amazing, but we always favor a park.  We took a nap in the park 'cause it was such a lovely day, and we were exhausted.




Nice stroll


Paul freaked out over the armor room



Can't tell, but this is a statue room of ancient Greece


I just liked this painting



Lovely day


This is where we took our nap


Show #3:  Pippin

We walked around for a little and had lunch with a long lost friend of mine, Anna Latanyshyn, who lived in Auburn!  We were hometown buddies from Western, so it was great to catch up with her.  We saw the show afterward and we loved it.  Terrence Mann was in the show and he is currently the Musical Theatre chair at Western, where I went to school.  I worked with him on a couple of shows, so I wanted to see the man in action.  And he didn't disappoint!  He was hilarious and charming in his role and I enjoyed seeing the master at work.  

The next day, we had to leave, but before we did, our host for AirBnB gave us a recommendation to eat brunch at the Queen's Comfort.  And it was, of course, delicious.  I had a BBQ type of omelette and Paul had something good too (can't remember).  It was so unhealthy, but so worth it.


So...worth...it

We also did a bunch of stuff around town with our friends, the LGO's, but I will do that post a little later in the week.  Also, Paul and I are still doing the "do a post this week or no more cookies" dance we like to do, so I'm sure, soon, Paul will do a post about his trip to Zambia.  If not, I'll do it and butcher the entire commentary.  It's his choice.

Ta for now!



1 comment:

  1. "There should always be a lady in a bathroom with a mic in my opinion." I concur.

    ReplyDelete