Monday, August 13, 2012

Burial at MIT

Hello again friends!

       It's August, so it's hot, but it's also time for Paul's summer classes to wind down.  He pretty much lives at MIT, which leaves me alone and bereft.  Sigh.  It's not his fault and all things considered, this summer has been amazing and we have spent the most time together.  Bain usually had terrible hours all the time, so I guess a week or two of terrible is better than the usual.

       I am now just waiting.  August 30 is when my adventure begins...BUT IT'S SO FAR AWAY!  I'm clawing at the walls to do something because nobody else can do stuff.  It's a busy time of year for everyone but me.  So, I decided last night to go to the free outside showing of Shakespeare's Coriolanus. If you don't know that play, that's ok 'cause neither did I.  But it was well done in my opinion, though I am not an expert.  Still, I find that because I have to concentrate so much on what is said during a Shakespearean play, I think more about the topics shown.  What is a city but the people?  Anyway, look it up, it's an interesting one.

    Now, on to our happenings.  Paul and I had a role switch this past week.  In one of his classes, Paul had to read Burial at Thebes, a modern update on Sophocles's Antigone.  Of course, when I heard the class was to produce and act out the play, I didn't care....kidding.  I was all over it.  His team that was given a section to act out were told to pick a theme and use it to act out with.  So, I came up with Star Wars.  And who was the star of the show (besides the title character)?  Why, Darth Vader, King Creon, my Paul Meggs.

    This was Friday and the actual culmination of the project turned out well.  I expected a little less, seeing that most of these kids did not come from theatrical backgrounds, but it was probably better than when my school performed Antigone.  I created some of the costumes (note R2D2) and gave some directions.  Here are a few pictures of the group performing:
         
Getting geared up



R2 and C3PO





Luke and Leia (Ismene and Antigone)



 The team



By far, my favorite

      Good job Team Sixy!  

      Well, that concludes my post at this time.  Next week, we plan on traveling about since Paul gets a little time off after this week.  Hopefully, Paul will get some rest.  Probably not, since I will want to go on a walk about.  Anyway, hope all is well and good luck to all my North Cobb friends!  First week back and I hope your school year goes amazingly.  Love!

1 comment: